Living Colour Exhibition

YEAH got excepted into the Living colour exhibition, sooooo excited. 171 entries, 32 selected. Just saw preview of all the pieces the other day, and they look really good, amazing to finally see everyone else's designs.
Saw Beneath the Southern Skies exhibition at the Festival of Quilts in the NEC in Birmingham last year and was impressed, took a photo of the call for entries for this year and brought it back to one of the groups I sew with.
As usual I had hundred other things to work on come September, just the theme was stewing in my wee brain.

some of the pieces from last years exhibit

Was down the market one Saturday and saw this amazing vegetable, thought I might work on that but changed my mind, as you do. Kept going back to the elemental theme I've been working with for several years.
Played around with the image in photoshop for a bit but it just wasn't happening ( may appear in several years time though for something else!)
So went to my stash of images from my Elemental series, had great fun selecting images, so put together a collage as you do, using the female form as inspiration for my wild world of colour. Transferred the images to fabric using "image maker" a transfer medium from Dylon. Was going to print straight onto fabric but my freezer paper was so old it wouldn't iron onto the fabric and I couldn't find the silk taffeta I wanted to use!!! So conservatory was covered in little bits of paper for days.
Can't show full image till exhibition has opened but here's a close ups.

With this transfer technique the surface becomes quiet plastic, slippy and difficult to quilt, but the size was good, 40 by 100 cm with was perfect for a domestic machine.
Check out the Living Colour website and Facebook page for more info on the selected artists and details of exhibitions and shows exhibit will be travelling too.

Comments

  1. So glad that Beneath the Southern Sky inspired you to enter Living Colour! It's a fabulous collection! Wild World is in for a wild ride!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts