Scottish Quilt Show part 3 competition quilts

For years I had wanted to visit Scotland, my dream is to travel around Scotland in a wee camper van for about a month, soak it in and enjoy. Fortunately thanks to meeting Ann Hill, (due to Kim and Debbi of Celtic Quilt Tours) and her crew of amazing quilters, I have had the opportunity to visit Glasgow and Edinburgh several times as well as getting the chance to visit Dumfries, (I will never forget driving through the lowlands in my wee hired car with snow blowing, stunningly beautiful and a little scary!)

Helping set up and man two galleries at the Scottish Quilt show was all I needed to book a flight! My first time at this show, I was impressed at how easy the venue was to get to, a few minutes by train from Central Station and you're there. There are lots of hotels within walking distance of the SEC but I decided to try an AirBnB room in the city centre.

There was a great selection of exhibits and stands from quilters all over Scotland and beyond. Officially titled "The Creative Craft Show" the quilts have been growing in numbers over the last few years. The show is run by ICHF Events, their website is: https://www.ichfevents.co.uk/whats-on/  and is worth taking a look as they have a variety of shows throughout the year all over the UK.

Members of Solway Quilters Dumfries, my favourite quilt of the show was the man's shirt, it just kept calling to me!

Pat Archibald, a member of Voyage group busy at her stand. Lots of well known quilters had booths including Helen Howes, Leah Higgins, Gillian Cooper, Val Hughes, and Jennie Rayment, to name a few.

Stunning work by Sheena J. Norquay                                          



               

Show catalogue, and look at that, Voyage and World Wide Whispers on the same page! And a view of       the crowd and some of the stands.


And here are some of the Competition quilts:

"Apple Blossom" by New Reflections won a Gold in the Group Quilts category

"Lave Flow" by Helen Butcher won Silver in the Art Quilts Category, great colour scheme, very strong image.

"Double Dish Fish" by Jo Avery in the Contemporary Section, wonderful example of modern quilting style, great composition and use of colour.

"My Little Flock" by Pauling Turner in the Traditional Category brought a smile, such a fun quilt!

"Colours Abstracted" by Jennifer Welsby in the Themed Category, great use of log cabin, birds add a great sense of depth.

"Rackwick 1" by Sheena J. Norquay won Gold in the Themed section.

As usual I received a very warm welcome from the Scottish Gang, love them, so easy and fun to chat with, a wicked sense of humour that had my jaws sore from laughing, which made me a pretty sight as I had a terrible head cold, runny eyes and nose. Until next June in Stirling!



Comments

Popular Posts