Attended a class in the National Craft Gallery in Kilkenny on Friday. The current exhibition is called "Interlace" and they were running a Lace Masterclass in conjunction with the exhibit so I signed up. Grania Preston very kindly offered to drive while I got directions from my phone!!!
How fast two hours can pass when you're busy nattering.
Here's a close up of a Carrickmacross lace dress that I made when I was eighteen. Did a night class in the local Tec, made a small piece and then decided I wanted to make a dress, the original backing fabric was a hideous purple poly cotton, but I changed that to ivory satin and added some beads while on a Start Your Own Business Course in Fas in the early nineties.

This is my favourite piece from the exhibit, free machinery embroidery ravens by Caroline Schofield, amazing.

And here's my attempt at Kenmare lace, yes the teeny weeny half inch square which took about an hour, enjoyed the technique but would need a large magnifying glass to attempt any more !!!

Got in a bit of quilting over the week, working on a triptych based on the Gee's Bend quilts using my hand dyed fabrics.
Some close ups 

Two done apart from finishing

Last one on machine ready to quilt

And here's the start of a surprise quilt for Issy Woo for her birthday at the end of June.
Have had these bits cut for over a month!!! Little two and a half inch squares, stuck onto very light iron on vilene and half sewn at the moment. She bought the squares herself and left them lying around, silly girl!!!




Comments

  1. Very nice! Isobels quilt will be gorgeous and I look forward to seeing the triptych ala Gee's Bend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts