2020 Journal Quilts part 2

 Tomorrow, the 31st of August is the last day for posting the second lot of Journal Quilts for the Contemporary Group of the Quilters Guild of the British Isles journal quilt challenge! As I'm physically back to work for the first time in over five months and I have a three hour Zoom AGM tomorrow I thought it was best to post my pieces today!

My theme is travel memories, the first four were based on a trip to Jordan last Christmas and these next four are taken from images and memories from my trip with Celtic Quilt Tours to Japan last January/February. The process of trawling through the hundreds of images I took and digging into the bags of goodies purchased whilst there brought back great memories and provided the content for these mini quilts.

Two of the quilts are hand priced and two are whole cloth with painted images

Journal Quilt 5 May Japan1

This wee quilt was made using very precious kimono silk scraps, the pattern is called clam shell and they are stitched by hand to create an abstract landscape of Mount Fuji. Working with the tiny scraps was delightful as the texture and lustre of some of the fabrics made it a very enjoyable tactile experience. Machine quilting was used to finish the piece.

I would like to make a bigger quilt using this technique and fabrics but will definitely hand quilt it!

Image of whole quilt

Detail of quilt


Journal Quilt 6 June Japan2

The Tokyo Dome Hotel had a large display of Daruma dolls in the foyer and naturally I had to take some photos and used one of them to create this quilt. The image was drawn onto a scrap gifted piece of linen, then painted with Posca pens (they're like acrylic paint in a pen and available in lots of different nib sizes). I then machine quilted the piece to finish it off.

Image of second Japan inspired quilt 

Detail of quilt


Journal Quilt 7 Japan3

Another whole cloth quilt, painted with my Posca pens on white linen, this quilt was inspired by one of the quilts on display at the Tokyo Quilt show and all the carp and koi fish I admired throughout the trip. The images were drawn onto the fabric, coloured and quilted by machine.

Full quilt

Detail of quilt


Journal Quilt 8 Japan4

Inspired by Boro stitching and using scraps from the bin in my studio, this piece was built up gradually, adding one piece at a time. The fabric with the tree and elephant were purchased at the Festival of Quilts last year and made into a very swanky apron last month. Some more kimono scraps, a cut off from my shibori dyeing session a couple of years back complete the collection. A scrap of selvage, a red crushed velvet scrap from a dress my daughter is making, some pins from clothing bought way back, a button I found outside the door of any studio and a washer  found somewhere in the house (hope it's not from something important!!) hand stitched and quilted with Madeira Lana thread.

Full image of last Japan inspired quilt

Detail of quilt


Only four more left to go and I'm caught between using images from my staycation, which will mean images of my back garden, and some local lakes and glens, or memories from previous travels. As they don't have to be published until December I have some time to ponder!


Comments

Popular Posts