My Wild Atlantic way!



It's one thing co-ordinating an exhibition, its quiet another making work for it!!
I had this lovely piece of hand dyed cotton, and knew I wanted to create a female figure on the piece, but wanted to keep her hidden.
I revisited all my old favourite artists and illustrators first, Aubrey Beardsley, Jim Fitzpatrick, Arthur Rackman, etc. and then jut dived right in!!

Applying the crystals was nerve wracking, what if I didn't like them?!!
Fairly happy with the finished result.



And cause one is too easy!! I had to make another. All the fabrics in the second one where left over from another quilt I made several years ago about the burden ( part of a group piece) and I'd say I easily have enough for a another!


The background is pieced, one section is a map of the burden I silkscreened onto dyed fabric.
The triangles are leftover velvet pieces from a coat I made for the Fashion sans frontiers show in Birmingham several years ago.
The images are from various old churches in Co. Clare and the Burren.

"Exploring Co. Clare" is the name of this piece, not very original I admit, but has to be done sometimes!!
Míse speaking at the opening with two of my quilts on display on the left.
Nikki and myself with Edna Ní Chiníde who organised the last patchwork exhibition in the Blasket Centre many moons ago.

The exhibition is over, they even asked to keep it up two extra weeks, which was brilliant. And the planning has begun for next years IQS Irish Quilters Showcase exhibition.




Comments

  1. Excellent Paula! So fabulous to your work in person in many exhibitions in Ireland! Very well done. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts